Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Celebrate our Earth

Today is Earth Day, it was first celebrated as a national "holiday" in 1970. It's a good day to refocus on what we can do to be good stewards of the Earth. There are simple things like recycle, switch to reusable bags for shopping, recycle, buy organic (or at least local), recycle, buy a reusable drinking bottle, recycle. I know I am kind of a stickler about recycling. I recycle pretty much anything I can, as a household, we always have more recyclables than trash, though I'd really like to cut back on all of that.

This year in honor of Earth Day, we will be, weather permitting, working in our garden. We usually plant a tree or a nice bush, this year we will be putting in a euonymous but I don't know if it will be today. In further effort to be good stewards, we are making a compost pile and a raised garden for vegetables. Inside, we are slowly converting to green cleaners, right now we are using Green Works, Seventh Generation and Method products, but I would like to switch to homemade products which are even better for the environment because of less packaging and shipping costs.

Happy Earth Day! Enjoy the wonderful planet that God gave us to take care of.

No comments: