Friday, September 26, 2008

Crockpot Potato & Corn Chowder

I haven't cooked a whole lot this week because I now have my son's cold. I did however make this yummy soup.
Here are the ingredients:

2 1/4 c chopped onions
3 cans of vegetable broth (or one box and one can)
2 lbs potatoes (it sounds like a ton but it's about 6 medium, 10 or so small)
7 c frozen corn
2 1/4 tsp thyme
2 c milk
I know they add a lot of flavor, but man did my eyes burn after chopping all those onions.


Saute the onions over medium heat in a little bit of oil (I used Olive Oil, not extra virgin) until brown. Put onions in crock pot.


Deglaze the pan with vegetable broth (bring the broth to a boil and scrape the yummy brown bits off the bottom). Add this and the rest of the broth to the crock pot.



OK, this is the first time I ever made or ate a chowder (there aren't too many commercial vegetarian chowders out there), so I chopped the potatoes a little big, you really are supposed to chop these into pieces abour 1/2" big so basically bite size or a little smaller.


Add the potatoes to the crock pot, cover and cook on low for about 8 hours on low.



1 hour before serving, add corn, thyme and milk to crock pot, add salt and pepper to taste (I added this to my bowl instead of the crock, I try not to uses salt & pepper in cooking) and cook on high for said 1 hour.


This is the soup done in the pot.


Here's my dinner.

Verdict: Yummy, buttery taste the first night, the spice comes through a bit more as it sits, good as leftovers too. Oh, and this is supposed to serve 6, but I really think it would serve more than that, I had a ton leftover.

I would definitely recommend this soup!

No comments: