Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lego misadventure

I discovered a couple of things about myself today...I can handle the sight of blood, and a lot of it coming from my child's hand, I can't handle the smell of blood as I clean it out of his shirt, my pants and my Vera Bradley bag, I can handle looking at the wound, but my husband can't.

We had an incident this morning. Kid Jedi, who is 6, decided to open a Lego kit he wanted to build, but instead of opening it with his hands, he decided he should use my DH's Swiss Army keychain, specifically the knife. Well, he cut toward himself, the knife got stuck and when he pulled, he sliced across his thumb. Now, I found out that finger wounds on 6 year olds bleed as bad as head wounds. I also discovered that as dull as the knife is on those keychains, it will slice through a child's fingernail.

Don't think we leave the keychain laying around for him to get and use, he was building a set last night before bed and the keychain/knife got left out. And he wasn't actually unsupervised for long this morning, it happened while I was in the bathroom, less than a minute. We did call the doctor's office and thought the cut was deep enough to go through the fingernail, since the bleeding stopped with pressure, no stitches were needed. We will just be tending to his thumb for the next several months as the split nail grows out.

Needless to say, the Swiss Army keychain is now put away higher than it was before, we had a long talk with him about never using knives until he learns how to use them and we say it's ok for him to use it...and to ask for help!! He never once asked me to help him open it when he saw it was a box he couldn't open on his own.

Any adventures going on at your home this summer?

No comments: