Saturday, November 1, 2008

Conversations about God

I grew up in a home where we went to church when we were young, but around when I was 9 or 10 we stopped going, we got a female minister and, well, my parents didn't really feel comfortable with her. I, personally, continued doing "church things" like AWANA and other youth group activities with friends and whenever I stayed at my cousins, I went to church. I accepted Christ as my savior at 14, but I don't think I really understood what that meant. At 20 I was baptized, along with my then fiance (not my husband), at a baptist church, I was dedicated when I was born at my Mom's church. Again, I understood who God and Jesus were and I truly did still believe that Christ is my saviour and only through Him can I go to Heaven. Well, anyway, since my Christian life has been sporadic at best, I wasn't really sure how to explain God and Jesus to my son. I've read him Bible stories since he was little. We recently started looking for a church, we attended one for a little while last year but it has yet to become a habit.

Now, my son is going to a wonderful Christian preschool and on our way home from school today, well yesterday (October 31), we had a conversation that kind of went like this:

Son: God made the Earth.
Mom: Yes, He did. He also made the sun and the moon.
Son: He didn't make the snow though.
Mom: Yes, God made the snow and the rain.
Son: He made the sun too. And he made the cats. Did he make the fishes too?
Mom: Yes, God made the fishes too. He also made you and me and Daddy and all of us. God loves us too.
Son: Toys, did God make toys Mom?
Mom: God didn't make toys, but God made the person who made the toys.
Son: OK, God made the man who made the toys, so if it weren't for God there wouldn't be toys? Yeah God! Because of God we have toys.

So, you see, he learned that all things are possible through God, but the only thing that really mattered was where the toys came from.

No comments: